Book Review- The Easy 5-Ingredient Acid Reflux CookbookPublished on Friday, February 04, 2022 by
A Cookbook for Acid Reflux, GERD, LPR, Heartburn…Honestly Everyone!
The Easy 5-Ingredient Acid Reflux Cookbook is coined “Fuss Free Recipes for Relief from GERD & LPR” but from my point of view, the cookbook provides much more than that. As I mentioned in my review of The Low-FODMAP Diet: Step by Step by Kate Scarlata & Dédé Wilson, I am very particular about the resources I recommend to others.
I’d say this is a traditional cookbook- which means the majority of the 151 pages are actually filled with recipes. But, as any good Registered Dietitian should do, there is an educational piece in the beginning where Andy De Santis walks you through what acid reflux is, the root causes and symptoms of GERD and LPR, and the relationship between food and acid reflux.
There is even a small section on a question that is ever present for those who do suffer from heartburn: When should I see a doctor?
I am often hearing from GERD and heartburn sufferers that they become frustrated when searching for snacks and meals that will keep them symptom-free without having to purchase an entirely new pantry filled with items. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THIS COOKBOOK. The cookbook actually gives you 11 examples of good pantry staples to have on hand as well as a list of a few kitchen tools that will allow for easier recipe preparation. The pantry staples that are listed are likely items many people already have in their homes, such as olive oil and maple syrup.
Here is an idea of the different sections of the cookbook and a couple of my personal favorites (but of course, my taste may be different from yours- so please know that these are just a snapshot of the recipes from each section, not a complete picture of this cookbook):
- Ginger Crème Brûlée French Toast
- Sage-Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- Easy Cornbread
- Ginger-Cumin Kale Chips
- Shaved Fennel & Red Apple Salad
- Golden Mushroom Soup
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Pasta with Cauliflower Sauce
- Coconut-Ginger Shrimp
- Crab Cakes
- Skirt Steak with Blackberry Thyme Sauce
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Greek Yogurt Herbed Salad Dressing
- Cantaloupe Salsa
- Maple-Ginger Pudding
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
The really cool part of this cookbook is the additional “friendliness” labeling throughout the book. Additional labels include Gluten-Free, Low-FODMAP, Vegan & Vegetarian. There are so many options for people who either have a gluten allergy or intolerance or are looking for Low-FODMAP, vegan, and vegetarian recipes. Additional features of this cookbook that are super helpful as well:
- Food Tables:
- Describing foods or food groups and the reasons why they have been recommended for minimization based on trigger potential
- Describing foods or food groups that can be enjoyed “with gusto” or with enthusiasm- and additional notes regarding the recommendation
- Additional Expert Dietary & Lifestyle Management Tips for Acid Reflux Sufferers:
- Includes a look into alternative methods for GERD relief
- A Quick-Reference for Measurement Conversions
Allison KochPhD, RDN