Beat the Heat with FODMAP-Friendly Frozen TreatsPublished on Friday, August 11, 2023 by
Savor the Season with FODMAP-Friendly Frozen Treats: A Variety of Cool and Gut-Friendly Options
Whether you live up North or in the Deep South, you are searching for any way to cool off by this time of the summer. If you suffer from any sort of GI issue, that means you are after shelling out cash for everyone else to get their favorite treat from the ice cream truck, only to find yourself having to choose the safe (and boring) sherbet option yet again.
While sherbet may be a great option, having a bit more variety is always better when you are out. Whether heading to a pool party, back-to-school kickoff, or just hanging out at home, below is a list of frozen FODMAP and gut-friendly treats. My hope is you can find a couple of the following items that will tickle your taste buds and not send you to the bathroom questioning all of your life choices.
Let us go back and dust off that list of Low FODMAP fruits and savory food items you can add to any dessert dish. Fruits like firm bananas, clementines/oranges, cantaloupe/honeydew, kiwi, pineapple, fresh coconut, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, lemon/lime, papaya, and grapes.
Other savory items include dark chocolate, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract, Brazil nuts, peanuts/peanut butter, walnuts, and macadamia nuts. Other options include lactose-free dairy products and whipped cream. To check these foods' Low FODMAP serving sizes, it’s always helpful to review the Monash University Low FODMAP app!
Now that we are ready let’s take a step away from the surface of the sun for a moment and cool off with these awesome, FODMAP-friendly chilling treats.
- FODMAP-friendly Rocket Pops - The summer of your youth just called with this FODMAP-friendly version of an old favorite. A bonus is you get the benefits of the vitamins and minerals in the fresh fruits you use (and they’re vegan!).
- Dark Chocolate Frozen Banana Bites - Are you looking for something savory and bite-sized? Start by freezing your firm bananas that have not developed brown spots yet. Then, mix and match your toppings to suit your mood.
- Low FODMAP Ice Cream Sandwich - If you don’t want to make your own cookies, use a gluten-free brand, such as these Kinnikinnik graham crackers, or make-and-break gluten-free cookies, like these from Immaculate Baking, for your sandwiches.
- Frozen Yogurt Fruit Bark - This tasty treat is beautiful and super easy to make. You can change up the fruit and add additional toppings based on your preference. Fruit bark is fun for a warm summer cookout or to have for yourself. Try Fage if you want to try this recipe with lactose-free Greek yogurt.
- Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Bars - Okay, so these are not necessarily frozen, but you can freeze them if you want! This great indulgent treat is FODMAP-friendly and will take you on a savory journey. Avoid these if you have a peanut allergy.
- Cold Brew Latte Pops - These pops will surely give you an extra wake-up call on these days that are extra hot and make you drag. Cold Brew, also known for having a lower acidity than regular iced coffee, is an option to use as your base if you also suffer from acid reflux and are looking for a less acidic opportunity for your coffee fix.
As you can see, there are several delicious frozen treats to get you through some of these smoldering days. They also happen to be FODMAP-friendly; for most of them, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze. Remember, you can replace most ingredients with products or ingredients you have found that you like more or tolerate better. Enjoy these healthy indulgent treats without feeling guilty, gassy, or gross.
- Wilson, D. (2023, March 18). Vegan Red, White & Blue Popsicles - Low fodmap. FODMAP Everyday. https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/recipes/vegan-red-white-blue-popsicles-low-fodmap/#wprm-recipe-container-49495
- Scott, A. (2023, May 27). Low Fodmap Frozen Banana bites. A Little Bit Yummy. https://alittlebityummy.com/recipe/en-us/low-fodmap-frozen-banana-bites/
- Rachel Pauls Food. (2020, March 17). Best low-fodmap ice cream sandwich cookies; gluten-free, dairy-free. Rachel Pauls Food. https://www.rachelpaulsfood.com/best-low-fodmap-ice-cream-sandwich-cookies-gluten-free-dairy-free/
- Scott, A. (2023a, May 27). Low Fodmap Berry Bliss frozen yoghurt bark. A Little Bit Yummy. https://alittlebityummy.com/recipe/en-us/low-fodmap-berry-bliss-frozen-yoghurt-bark/
- B., D. (2020, July 21). Dark chocolate peanut butter bars. Delicious as it Looks. https://deliciousasitlooks.com/2017/05/dark-chocolate-peanut-butter-bars.html#wprm-recipe-container-8369
- Wilson, D. (2023, March 28). Low Fodmap Cold Brew Latte pops with chocolate covered espresso beans. FODMAP Everyday. https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/recipes/low-fodmap-cold-brew-latte-pops-with-chocolate-covered-espresso-beans/
Kari TallentMA, RD