Old-Fashioned Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Noodle SoupRECIPE
Published on Friday, January 26, 2024 by
Celebrate National Soup Month with a Flavorful Twist on Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
January is National Soup Month! What better way to celebrate and bring in the new year than with a good old-fashioned bowl of chicken noodle soup. You can easily make this soup gluten-free or gluten-full. I have also included a list of tips and alternatives you can try to change this old favorite into your own personalized delight.
Browning the Chicken for Elevated Flavor
When making this recipe, some cooking tips and tricks will take the flavor to a whole different level. A crucial step in elevating your soup's flavor is browning the chicken. Heat oil, add chicken to form a single layer, and stress the importance of not overcrowding the pan for rich flavor infusion. Let the chicken sit undisturbed, chop ingredients, and flip for enhanced taste after 3-4 minutes. Delicately remove the perfectly browned chicken to a separate bowl, emphasizing the worth of this meticulous browning step.
Savor the Flavorful Bits: Cooking Technique
After browning, transfer the chicken to a bowl, keeping flavorful bits on the pan. Quickly add a tablespoon of oil and vegetables, stirring to prevent burning. Cook vegetables over medium-low heat until tender, adjusting with more oil if needed. Introduce white wine, using a spoon to scrape off savory bits from the pan's bottom. The wine's acidity effortlessly releases these flavorful elements, enriching your soup's taste.
Creative Alternatives to Customize Your Soup
- Roasted Chicken Thighs: Swap chicken breasts with thighs for a richer flavor. Roast thighs in olive oil and 1 tsp salt at 350°F for 45 minutes before adding to the soup.
- Sweet and Fibrous Twist: Enhance sweetness and fiber by including a peeled and chopped parsnip in your soup.
- Kale Boost: Increase fiber with 1 cup of finely chopped kale. Freeze it first, and it will easily crumble into your soup.
- Onion Flavor without Onions: If you crave onion flavor but can't have onions, omit yellow onions and add ½ cup chopped scallions.
- Garlic Flavor without Garlic: Swap garlic with finely chopped shallots for a mild and sweet alternative, perfect for those with sensitivities.
- Spicy Kick: Add ½ tsp red pepper flakes for a warming touch and a hint of heat.
- Gluten-Free Noodles: Opt for Trader Joe’s® Gluten-Free Egg Fettuccine Pasta to replace traditional spaghetti noodles. Enjoy the delicious texture without gluten.
- Gluten-FULL Option: Make the recipe gluten-FULL using regular all-purpose flour and traditional wheat noodles.
- Rice Variation: Skip the noodles and incorporate 1 ½ cups of cooked brown rice for a hearty alternative.
- Low Sodium Choice: Reduce sodium intake by using Kitchen Basics® Unsalted Chicken Stock, available at most grocery stores, for a flavorful yet low-sodium option.
In closing, as you embark on your culinary journey to create the perfect chicken noodle soup, remember that the beauty of this classic dish lies in its versatility. Whether you opt for gluten-free or the traditional version, these tips and alternatives allow you to tailor the recipe to your preferences. From the rich flavor of roasted chicken thighs to the sweet crunch of parsnips and the warmth of red pepper flakes, each variation adds a unique touch. So, celebrate National Soup Month by transforming this timeless favorite into your own signature creation.
[[ recipeID=recipe-8lrgssm6q, title=Old-Fashioned Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Noodle Soup ]]